Lawn Eager is the perfect investment tool if you want to get a trim and clean look on a side lawn.
They are able to provide clear lines of separation between grass and driveways, flow beds and sidewalks. It also protects these areas from damage caused by weeds and unrestrained weeds.
A brief overview of the factors when purchasing the best lawn edge;
|TYPES||LAWN SIZE||WEIGHT||PRICE RANGE||MAINTENANCE|
|Manual||Small||Light weight||$20 – $55||Low|
|Electric||Medium||Moderate||$50 – $100||Medium|
|Battery||Medium||Moderate||$80 – $150||Medium|
|Gas||Large||Heavy||$150 – $550||High|
For detailed instructions on how to choose the best lawn edge, we recommend reading our Buying Guide. Below is a list of the best lawn adjusters to reduce your shopping pressure and online research time.
Best Lawn Edgers
Best Lawn Edgers: 2020 Reviews
Here’s a look at some of the best lawn edges available online. We included all kinds of lawn agers with their positive and negative remarks. All you need to do is choose the best one that suits your needs and requirements.
In this WORX WG163 2 in 1 GT, you can use Trimmer and Eger without buying separately. It serves as a string trimmer and wheelbarrow with an advanced push button command feed spill system that can be used for free spill for life as well as instant line.
It comes with 2 powerful, rechargeable and lightweight 20V power share maximum lithium ion batteries in which you can use these batteries on any other tool in the WORX Power Share family. The rubberized wheels will provide professional straight lines to support and guide the support junction to perform clean cuts. Suitable for small to medium sized lawns.
The head tilts 90 il which makes it difficult for you to trim and edge over loose areas and reach places. Adjustable spacer guards will not allow you to damage plants, lawn ornaments and landscape features while pruning. The product comes with a 20V battery with charger.
- Cutting Diameter – 12 inches
- Machine Weight – 5.3 lbs
- Cutting Line Length – 10 inches
- Line Diameter – 0.065 inches
- No-Load Speed – 7600 rpm
- Dimensions – 36.3 X 7.5 X 5.5 inches
- Voltage – 20 volts
- Product Warranty – 3 years and guarantee for battery & charger – 1 year
- This cordless edger performs a smart work (both trimming and edging) with tool free adjustment and command feed.
- Light weight and easy to handle even in hard to reach areas such as like under swingsets or landscaping for cutting the overgrown grass and weeds.
- You can adjust the height and length of this edger as per your preference and comfort for trimming, mowing or edging the lawn.
- It is safe to use and easy to maintain with stylish design that has a binary function for flower spacing barrier.
- Some user’s complaint that the life of the battery lasts for a few minutes (30 minutes) even though charging it completely.
- Not suitable for large sized lawns and heavily weeded areas.
The WORX tools are designed to perform precision, and the WG 896 is a powerful electric coded yet light weight and easy to use. The blade is made of heavy duty steel and sewn edges that effectively clean the edge with straight lines and wear indications as to when to replace the blade.
It’s easy to assemble and plug the device while clearing flags and changing blades. Adjustable handle (D-grip handle) axis will give you maximum comfort and control over your work. The adjustable shaft will allow you to use this elbow in a comfortable position (any height and length).
Ideal for small to medium sized lanes and professional looking lines and edges with 12 MP motor spin as well as 4700 rpm blade fast. The cutting line indicator will help you stay straight and narrow along the cutting line, and finally, once you get to the edge, you will see the difference between a lush garden and a flower garden.
- Weight – 14 lbs
- Dimensions – 22.6 X 14.1 X 11 inches
- Product Warranty – 3 years and guarantee for battery & charger – 1 year
- Voltage – 120 V
- Blade Cutting Depth – 3 Level Adjustments (1 inch, 1 – 1/4 inch and 1 – 1/2 inch)
- Blade Size Diameter – 7 ½ inches
- Required Electricity – 12 Amp
- Blade Speed – 4700 revolutions per minute (rpm)
- It is designed in a compact size with professional style cutting of faster operation.
- Comes with ergonomics handles that provides you to adjust the height and length of the edger for comfortable edging of the lawn.
- Suitable for digging small trenches, in-depth cutting along flower beds and sidewalks edging, as it creates a clean, neat and precise cut.
- The cutting line indicator will guide the blade to cut exactly around the edges of your lawn.
- The 2 back wheels and a single front will provide the edger to work with stability and push it forward easily on its wheels.
- Easy to assemble and this 2 in 1 lawn tool will save your time and energy.
- Need an extension cord with sufficient supply of electricity to perform its operation.
- Some users say that the rear blade gets caught while operating in thick grass and also not ideal to use for wet or damp lawn and also for medium to large sized lawns.
This Black + Decker Besta works well on tight weeds and most grasses. You can easily apply the final touch to the edges of the lawn around flow beds, sidewalks and driveways. The automatic feed spill (AFS) technology of this electric coded lawn mower will eliminate bumping for further stringing and the bone retention system while working will help prevent accidental unplugging.
Both aging and trimming will be faster and easier with the help of this 2 in 1 lawn machine. It chooses to work in small gardens with its compact design that can be easily changed from carpenter to agar and vice versa.
The 6.5 amp motor will provide plenty of performance by mowing the grass evenly to maintain the beauty of the garden. Wheel height and length are easily adjusted for easy trimming or edging. Packages come with Besta 510 string trimmer, AF 100 spill, auxiliary handle and guard.
Weight – 5.3 lbs
Extension cord – 2 to 3 dimensions
Line diameter – 0.065 inches
Voltage – 120V
Blade speed – 8000 rpm
Cutting diameter – 14 inches
Power – 6.5 Amp
Warranty – 2 years limited
Dimensions – 8.5 X 4.9 X 37.6 inches
Easy to assemble, use and clean the device.
It is designed to meet customer’s requirement with automatic feed spill technology and bone retention system.
Works well on overgrown grasses and hard weeds
Suitable for small to medium sized yards
Some consumers say that the quality of this product is not good.
A separate extension cord (2-3 prongs) with sufficient power resources is required to perform its function correctly.
This Black + Decker LE760FF is a special pull-up edge guide that will easily turn from a landscape treacher to an ager. These electric coded devices come with three position blade depth and handle adjustment giving full control over cutting and edges.
Maintaining the built-in cord will protect the extension cord using it to prevent accidental unplugging. The 12 amp high torque motor will handle the surge effectively and create clean trenches. Prefer to use a 12 gauge (or 3 prong) extension cord for its operation.
Aging mode will guide you to straight edges with hard surfaces and trenching mode will guide you to cut the beds and form the borders. Black + Decker AB-007 Edge Hub Heavy Duty Ager Replacement Blade will come with this product. Quick and hassle-free assembly that has tightened steel blades and adjustable handles.
- Dimensions – 23 X 10 X 12 inches
- Weight – 13 lbs
- Blade Speed – 4700 rpm
- Cutting Blade Length – 7 ½ inches
- Warranty – 2 years
- Voltage – 110 to 120 V
- Depth Adjustment Settings – 3 Positions (1, 1 ¼, 1 ½ inches)
- It not only work as an edger but also digs trenches to help you plant bushes or trees, fencing or install outdoor lighting.
- The adjustable blades and handle will provide control over the depth and angle of trimming.
- This corded electric edger is lightweight and easy to handle and acts as a best alternative for gas powered or manual edger why because it reduces the physical strain.
- Suitable for small to medium sized garden that produce a professional looking edge.
- Some user’s complaint that the quality of the product is not up to the mark and the battery life is too short.
- The blades gets easily dull and blunt up on a few uses and also comes with plastic construction.
This GreenWorks 27032 coded electric Eger runs on a 12MP motor to provide powerful edge capability. The double-edged blade will give you strong edge capability and long length (up to 1.5 inches deep). The auxiliary handle is adjustable to add comfort and control to the user and prevents accidental unplugging when using the integrated cord lock device.
The spring support wheel wheel will provide variable blade depth with preferred beds for the perfect edge with flower beds, sidewalks and driveways. This cord electric eagle is lightweight, easy to use and control, and is the perfect suite for cutting and handling a small yard. You need a 100 foot extension cord to adjust your lawn.
- Warranty – 4 years
- Dimensions – 22.8 X 19 X 11.8 inches
- Weight – 17 lbs
- Cutting Blade Length – 7.5 inches
- The Greenworks products won’t release an ounce of carbon emission while performing its operation.
- Comes with solid construction that makes you easy to control and manoeuvre
- The cutting can be quite easier and faster without much effort.
- Not suitable for cutting overgrown grass and thick weeds.
- Some users’ complaint that the tool has plastic blade guard with a few flimsy screws which gets loose easily and also the replacement blades are expensive.
AMES 2917200 will work to create border edge driveways, patios, corbes or edges in the garden. This manual ager is lightweight, strong and durable which gives good looking garden lines. To remove the weeds in the beds and keep the weeds, you need a manual agar to cover the ground cover, and separate the flowers from the lawn.
It comes with an ergonomic design that makes it easy and convenient to use your pressure or pain when you invent a lawn. Keep your feet on the right edge from where you want to edge the area. Steel handler which makes it durable and rust resistant for its longevity. You can use this product for many years.
- Dimensions – 14.1 X 1.5 X 39.3 inches
- Blade Dimensions – 5 inches high and 9 inches wide
- Weight – 13.6 ounces
- Warranty – No
- Size – 39 inches
- The handles of this landscape border edger will make it easy to use without any strain and pain.
- Simply place your foot on the wide foot plate to create an edge with consistent cutting depth.
- Strong and durable construction that comes with antirust finish and weather resistant.
- Provide clean borders around walkways and flower beds with its arched, saw tooth blade design with steel T grip.
- No need to assemble the product, as it comes with strong and durable steel handles, unique foot plate and serrated blade slices
- Effectively removes sod with ease and suitable for small sized lawns.
- Not ideal for edging medium to large sized lawns and also time consuming.
- Causes some physical strain and stress due to applying some pressure to edge the lawn manually.
This Tripper Tro will come with hard rotary lawn adjuster dual wheel and ash lacquered handle with strength, comfort and durability. It keeps sidewalks free of weeds and weeds. The edge heads are made of gray steel coated with silicone spray. This Eager has two wheels and a handle of modern technology to work efficiently and quickly.
- Dimensions – 57.6 X 5.8 X 3.2 inches
- Weight – 3.83 pounds
- Warranty – 10 year free replacement warranty
- Size – 48 inches
- Style – Dual Wheel Rotary Lawn Edger
- The double wheel design will give you proper balance while edging
- Durable material that performs quality work in trimming / edging weeds and grass
- Affordable lawn edger with good cutting action
- The drawback is that you need to spend more time and be patience to edge your lawn manually.
- Hard to use, as you have apply some physical force to operate this edger and also used for small sized yards.
Use the edge of this Southland lawn to get a professional landscape look as the Eger is equipped with a 79cc OHV engine that delivers 3.5 feet of torque. The manual reversal easy start technique will start the edge quickly and easily. To cut a maximum of 2.5 inches, we can adjust the triangular three 9-inch blade in five different depth positions.
Also, you can adjust 15 degrees left or right for the blade edge. Adjustable front and rear wheels will provide a ability to prevent rapid slipping through hard and hard edges. Easy to assemble and can protect the edge while operating quietly with its strong metal frame and blade guard. It is EPA and CARB certified to give your lawn a professional look.
- Cutting depth – 2 inches
- Cutting Blade Depth Positions – 5 levels (up to 2 ½ inch)
- Warranty – 2 years
- Dimensions – 30.3 X 19.3 X 18.5 inches
- Weight – 64.8 pounds
- It comes with triangular 3 point blade, 5 depth positions, bevel adjustments and curb hopping feature.
- Suitable to use for medium to large or commercial lawn.
- Made of sturdy material with durability and performs its operation quickly, easily and safely.
- Make sure to fuel the stabilizer if you kept edger unused for about 30 days.
- Some customers’ complaint that there is a small leakage of oil from the gasoline tank.
The MacLan 101 – 5.5 GT-powered Lawn Lawn Eger will come with 550 GHz of torque and a 3.5 horsepower B&S engine that will look good on your lawn or outdoor space. These agers and trimmers want to mow the lawn exactly the way you want.
This edge is cut either horizontally or vertically and easily due to the wide rubber tires with ball bearing wheels. You can easily bend the blade at any angle to trim flat at any height. It is designed to meet all established safety standards.
The trimmer is mostly mounted on curbs that give a clean cut and the cutter head uses a precision machine that has a sealed precision hair bearing on a 2 x 9 inch spring steel blade. It is suitable for commercial gardens and large lawn which gives professional shape.
- Dimensions – 29.8 X 19 X 17 inches
- Weight – 66.3 pounds
- Warranty – 2 years
- It has sturdy build with powerful capacity and have good control over edging.
- The 8 –inch wheels will provide perfect balance to give a precise cut every single time.
- Light weight and easy to use with quiet to operate
- Have throttle design flaw and curb wheel is not included.
- Takes some time to get assembled and a bit pricey.
The Eger comes with a powerful 79cc wiper engine with a centrifugal clutch to handle the edges in hard and tough areas. The main head of this edge will allow more than one edge and cutting angles. The Chinese debris link guard will protect the operator from these dirt particles and flying debris while operating.
The handle bars are designed to facilitate tool and drink storage. The 4 wheel design will provide you with stable control for clean and straight lines.
- Dimensions – 30.5 X 15.5 X 21 inches
- Weight – 60 pounds
- Warranty – 5 years
- Front Wheel Diameter – 6.5 inches
- Rear Wheel Diameter – 7.5 inches
- Maximum Edging Depth – 3.5 inches
- Edger Blade – 3400 rpm
- Solid product with great performance at affordable price.
- It cuts clean lines and thereby clean up the edges with ease
- Comes with features like tool holder, chain debris guard, pivoting head and 79 cc viper engine.
- Suitable to use for medium to large sized lawns.
- Time consuming for assembly, as it is difficult to understand the user manual.
- Need some regular maintenance for its longevity and proper working.
This Lawn Eager comes with a heavy-duty 9-inch dual-stepped steel blade that cuts right along your sidewalks and driveways to its maximum depth of 1.75 inches. Its jumpstart technology will provide an easy start with a smooth stable bridge. Foldable ergonomic handle design with handle mounted throttle will provide easy storage, smooth operation with efficient control over the machine.
3 Transport wheels with adjustable height level will provide proper proper balance, stability and control for the right cut in the yard. The Aeger is powered by a reliable 29cc4 cycle engine that does not require gas or oil combinations.
- Warranty – 2 years
- Maximum Edge Depth – 1.75 inches
- Blade – 9 inch dual – edge blade
- Depth Positions – 6 levels
- Handle – V style
- Wheels – 3 Transport wheels
- Fuel Capacity – .4 qt
- Weight – 28 pounds
- Dimensions – 15 X 24.5 X 14.3 inches.
- The 9-inch dual tip blade will cut up to 2.5 inches depth which will give a clean edge in your lawn.
- For a quick, easy and frustration free start, this edger comes with a JumpStart technology that prevents the need to pull cord.
- Durable steel frame construction in which spring assist will start to pull the cord easier.
- Requires some regular maintenance for its proper usage and longevity.
- Some customers complaint that the quality of this product is not up to the mark.
What is a Lawn Edger?
If you want to remove weeds or mow the lawn in your yard or landscape, the lawn edge is the perfect garden tool. It is the best alternative to string trimmer and lawn mower as it can easily apply hard trim to reach the areas around the shore. They are available in many designs and types so you can easily find a model that suits your needs and requirements.
How Does a Lawn Edger Work?
These machines are powered by engines so you can run them on electricity or fuel. The Lawn Eager comes with a vertical spinning blade that rotates vertically during work. This makes it easier to mow the grass at the edges and along the side of the road. However, you cannot mow the grass using a lawn agar. Mostly, people use these machines to trim, maintain and enhance their lawns, courtyards or landscapes.
Why Should I Use a Lawn Edger?
The edges of the lawn have the potential to create sidewalks, garden beds, lawn mowers on the driveway and separate lines between the grass. They reduce the likelihood of any damage that is often caused by weeds in these areas. In addition, they can give your garden and landscapes a smooth shape and clear boundaries.
The lawn edges are specially designed to make clean, neat and serious plant beds, driveways, patios, alleys and walkways. They are mostly used to grow and maintain lawns and courtyards with grass coverage. If you have a scraggly grass to hand over to the driveway, you can use a lawn ager to keep the grass in proper shape and create a clean line between the lawn and the concrete.
Different Types of Lawn Edger
Before buying lawn agers, it is important to know the differences between the types available in the market. Based on this information, you can analyze who fits your needs. We have provided information about the advantages and disadvantages of this type. Read the information carefully to find out the best for your needs.
- Manual Lawn Edger: This is the most common lawn edger available in the market. They are suitable for small lawns or edging around 1 to 2 small flower beds or delicate grass beds. It comes with a sharp rotating wheel with a long handle using which the user has to walk behind or push it manually anywhere you want. Due to no presence of motor or fuel, it needs a lot of manual work. However, it provides precise results based on how efficiently you can use the lawn edger. They are easy to use and available at cost-effective rates.
- Electric Lawn Edger: Electric lawn edgers are the perfect option for smaller sized gardens or yard which require minimum maintenance. They are specially designed to be light in weight and easy to maneuver in tight or narrow spaces. With these machines, you don’t have to worry about using the right kind or quantity of oil and nasty gas fumes. As they use electricity for powering up, they are considered environmental friendly.Electric lawn edgers are easy to start – all you have to do is plug the machine into an electrical outlet and it will start working. It helps you turn your garden into a piece of art. They are suitable for suburban life as they are quieter compared to gas-powered models.The main drawback of electric lawn edgers is that they are easy to move around. As they have limited edging range, you should stay close to the electrical outlet. Or else, you have to use an extension cord. Electric edger is suitable for people who are looking for simple and effective way of trimming your lawn or landscape.
- Battery Operated:If you want a lawn edger that portable and eco-friendly as well, then we recommend to go for battery-powered edger. They are suitable for medium-sized gardens or lawns. As they need any fuel or electrical outlet, you don’t need to worry about any accidents of tripping cord or emit any harmful gases. Most of the battery operated lawn edgers come with strong lithium batteries which provide long lasting battery life and get charged quickly as well.Power consumption of cordless (battery powered) lawn edgers is calculated in terms of volts. Standard lawn edger models consume with 18 volts. But for a corded model, power consumption is measured in amps. Models with 10 to 12 motor is the best option to choose.The main drawback of battery operated lawn edger is battery life as it depends on the yard size and how long you recharge the battery. In case of large garden, then it needs a lot of maintenance. We recommend to purchase a second batteryBattery-operated lawn edgers don’t generate any noise as well. Including that, they are portable and emission-free. The operational costs of lawn edgers is minimal too, when compared to gas-powered and electric models.While purchasing an electric lawn edger, we recommend to choose a model with strong blade. If you prefer corded unit, then go for a model that comes with a cord with tangle-free option. If you prefer cordless model, then go for a model that uses lithium ion battery as they last much longer.
- Gas-Powered Lawn Edger: Gas powered lawn edger uses a powerful engine that provides more effective work at tackling more lawn quickly. They are suitable for medium to large sized gardens or yards that need a lot of garden maintenance. Compared to electric edger, these machines provide cleaner and precise cuts with just single pass. These are heavier, louder and more expensive than cord and cordless models.Gas lawn edgers come with either 2- stroke (runs on oil and petrol mix) or 4 – stroke engines in which 4-stroke engine (run on petrol) is more powerful and emits less pollution. Four-cycle engines are usually recommended for heavy-duty works and it will emit less fumes. You don’t have to add any engine oil.Two-cycle engines need a combination of fuels but they weigh much less. Drawbacks of gas powered models are – expensive price, emit fumes and noisy as well. Gas-powered models are usually labelled CARB-compliant which states that they are suitable for using in California without any issues.
How To Choose a Lawn Edger?
When buying a lawn ager, you need to consider what is suitable for your lawn, the shape of its blade, before and after maintenance, lawn size, etc. Therefore, here are some important aspects that you need to consider. You just have to be more discriminating with the help you render toward other people. Your lawn aging job ltd.
1. Yard Size
This is an important factor to consider when analyzing lawn edges. Mostly, these machines are used around sidewalks, driveways and around gardens and flower beds. Lawns or gardens come in a variety of shapes and sizes. If you do not consider this factor, you may end up with the wrong tool. Here are some questions to ask when analyzing this factor:
- Is your lawn small in size and easy to maintain?
- Is your medium-sized garden shaped irregularly?
- Does your large yard have a wide driveway, lot of pathways, veggie patches and circular flower beds?
For small lanes, an electric pole single wheel edging is efficient and suitable for completing work quickly. For a medium to large garden with multiple flower beds, many paths and wide driveways for better trails and piles, then we can walk out multi-wheel ager (battery powered) or Recommend going for gas powered model.
It plays an important role in finding the best lawn adjuster for your needs. Adjusting the lawn will take a long time, especially if it is large and has many variations. If you spend a lot of time working on the yard, then a manual auger is the right choice. But, if you don’t have much time on your hands or you want to get the job done quickly and efficiently, an electric lawn eater will suffice. If you enjoy working in the yard, then small edges with low power and small blades are enough. But if you want to count every second, then we recommend choosing a sophisticated aging machine with many features.
Whether it’s manual, gas-powered or electric, you need to check the electricity before you buy. Power of Lawn Ages is represented in terms of horsepower and torque. These machines require a lot of torque and horsepower to perform the work efficiently and consistently. Lawners need at least 4.75 torque and 3.5 horsepower motors to effectively handle a standard size yard.
The lawn agar that comes with high quality blades will provide the perfect cut. Also, consider whether it is easy to change or replace the blade easily. Choosing models with at least three different blade positions and adjustable cutting depths will ensure an accurate and clean cut. Also make sure the blades come with a protector as it prevents grass cutting or debris from flying or damaging.
Different models of lawn agers come with different blade types. They differ on a number of factors, including shape and style and design. They provide a wide gap between the path and the grass to keep your lawn clean and tidy. Also, choose angled blades (we are able to make angles) to complete different angles instead of straight blades that stand on the ground. Detailed information on these factors is provided below;
Blade Type of Right Cutting Edge
Straight blades without blades are suitable for small yards. However, a lawn with multiple blade positions and angle settings is worth investing in, even if it is expensive. They are suitable for large yards with many flower beds, multiple paths and features. Below are the three main lawn ager blade types;
- Flat Rectangular and Plain Edge Blades – They are the most common blade type available in lawn edgers. They are suitable for several garden tasks including basic edging (where the lawn is flush) and leveling the hard surfaces like sidewalk and driveways.
- Flat Rectangular Scoop-Cut Edge Blades – They are capable of handling perimeters of delicate landscaping features like flower beds. If you use any other blade, then the flower beds get disturbed with a lot of debris generated because of rough cutting. These blades are perfect for gardens or yards with uneven surfaces.
- Star-Shaped Blades – They are capable of cutting grass that ends at a sturdy surface or wall.
Based on your needs, you can choose any blade of your choice for your lawn adjuster. You can also change the blade as needed. However, the transition may take some time.
When it comes to size, standard blade sizes range from 7 to 9 inches. The width is usually from 1 to 2 inches while the thickness is from 0.098 to 0.125 inches.
Blade Adjustment and Depth of Cut
When it comes to lawn care, depth mowing plays an important role. Cutting too deep (near the roots) can kill the grass, while cutting too little will not make much difference. Therefore, it is better to look at the edge of a lawn that comes with the feature of adjustment in height and cutting depth. Most lawn edges come with a 2.5-inch cutting depth and a 7- to 9-inch blade height. This limit is sufficient for most cutting needs.
Depending on the area of your garden, you may need to adjust the blade depth. When edging flower beds, you need to deepen the cut so much to remove any excessive turf or garden construction in order to work clean and tidy. When edging paths, all you need to do is trim to remove any overgrown parts for a good sharp line and perfect manicure look.
If the yard is attached to hard surfaces such as garden walls and concrete paths, then choose a lawn mower with a head that can form a 90 degree axis. Make sure it also has a flower protector so you can protect delicate plants.
5. Number of Wheels
There should be two or more wheels to help balance, edge balance and control to get a more accurate edge when cutting. If you are buying a gas-powered lawn ager, you have to decide whether it is better to have three or four wheels.
Whichever lawn adjuster you choose, the rear wheels support the movement while the front wheels maintain balance. All four wheels together will provide as much control and flexibility as a wheel. They can also be used on the road surface or during fixed stops for stability and balance.
6. Lawn Edger Styles
Based on its operation, lawn edges are categorized in different ways, including poles, walkways, and strings. We have mentioned their advantages and disadvantages for your reference below. Read carefully to choose the right option.
- Pole Lawn Edgers: Whether it is a difficult terrain or uneven surface, it is very to maneuver around. Compared to other edger styles, they provide more control and stability. However, if you are not careful while using it, you may make some mistakes.Pole single wheel lawn edgers look same as weed trimmers. However, they have 2 or 3 wheels at the front and 2 wheels at the back. Being in light in weight, they are very easy to move in narrow and tight spots.
- Walk-Behind Lawn Edgers: They are similar to lawn mower and have 3 or 4 wheels. As the name implies, you have to walk behind the edger for trimming the grass. Though it is a bit difficult to see where are mowing, most of these devices have laser sight or a guide which makes it easy to maneuver while edging.They have a large and more powerful engine with wide handle or two lever type handle which makes it easy to control the edger movement.
- String Edgers: These machines are perfect if you have a yard with different surfaces. Compared to other edgers, they are a bit difficult to control while in operation. They have also lets you expose to the grass cuttings flying around which is not the case with pole or walk-behind edger.String edgers are multi-functional with string trimming features as well. Most of these string edgers are available with removable wheel on the trimmer which can also be used as a guide for edging work. Compared to walk-behind and stick edgers, these machines come with a string instead of blade. It wears off quickly if you are using it for edging sidewalks and walkways. So, you have to replace them regularly.
7. Additional Features
Some lawn ager models come with additional features. We have clearly mentioned them below for your reference. Placing them on the edge of the lawn makes the whole process comfortable.
- Angled Blades: Some lawn edgers come with a blade that spins perpendicular to the ground. For most of the edging works, this feature is sufficient. Angled blades provide have more flexibility which provide nice finish. For most of the people, straight blade will work perfectly fine.
- Adjustable Shaft: The adjustable shaft and D grip handle will help the users (any height) to use the edger in a comfortable position suitable for them.
- Adjustable Handle: The handle can be adjusted easily according to your comfort and for maximum control.
- Depth Adjustments: Based on the requirements of edging, you can adjust the depth according like 1”, 1-1/4th inch and 1-1/2”.
In addition to the power source and cutting action, you also need to buy a lawn ager that is comfortable and easy to control or move. For smaller yards or lawns, you can choose a lighter weight age model as it will be easier to tag, use and move in narrow corners.
For larger lanes, you’ll need to choose the multi-wheeled edge behind the walk. Make sure that these models have wide handles or else there are two levers as this makes it very easy to move and control the edge. Some models come with left or right handed support handles while others have adjustable shafts. These models offer the flexibility to adjust the height according to your needs.
Just like any other product, lawn edges need maintenance to maintain their performance and longevity, regardless of the source of power. However, gas-powered models require more maintenance and manual ones require less maintenance.
10. Extra Attachments
It is always best to choose a product that offers a number of benefits. Some lawn edges come with multi-functional features such as 2 or 3 tools in one. In addition to using it as a BasicAgger, you only need to change some attachments and use it as a tracer or line streamer. These additional tools will allow you to use the edge to trim long grass or reshape flower beds.
11. Convenient Features
Whether you choose the electric model or the gas model, some features make the edge easy to use. For example, gas trimmers that come with push-to-start are much easier to start than a pull-out mechanism. As the name suggests, you just press the button to start the machine. When it comes to battery-powered trimmers, it’s important to have extra batteries or choose a model with a quick charging feature. They make it easy to get things done without the hassle of electricity.
Choose a lawn edger has strong construction so that it can perform the tasks easily and move quickly on hard surfaces. Models with low quality construction will be filmsy and wobbly. Some lawn edgers need to be assembled before using while other don’t need any assembly. Having height adjustable handle will ease up the work of edging properly.
Weight is another aspect to consider while buying the lawn edger, especially if you have a large yard. Although, a heavier model is powerful and durable but it is difficult to push around and may develop fatigue while handing large landscaping projects. When it comes to lightweight lawn edgers, they are easy to maneuver and need less energy to complete the task.
Most of us like to purchase a model within budget range. All you need is to consider the performance of the product, which reduces your stress and strain in maintaining a precise edge between lawn and path.
For manual model, the price range will be around $20 to $55. For electric & cordless models, the price range will be $50 to $100. For gas model, the price range will be $150 to $550 (4 – Stroke engines are more expensive).
Advantages of Using Lawn Edger
Lawn edger will trim the grass endings exactly as you wish. Apart from that, there are several benefits of investing in a lawn edger. We have mentioned them clearly below for your reference.
- Ease of Use – Some garden tools have complex and severe operation. But lawn edger is very easy to understand the operation and use it for edging tasks. They are designed to make the user comfortable while edging the lawn.
- Efficient – Lawn edgers will provide efficient results just like a professional groomed lawn. They remove the outgrown grass in the edges and provide a neat, tidy and clean look.
- Manage Grass Growth – Some grass types grow quickly so you can restrict their growth in the areas like pavements. By using the lawn edger, you can direct their growth of grass in certain directions and areas.
- Maintain Flowerbed – Most of the home owners like their flowerbeds organized and less messy. Lawn edgers have rotating blades which clears away the grass and debris. It will also develop a trench around the flowerbeds which prevents any accumulation of water. This will further improve the health of flowers.
- Maintenance of Lawn Edger – These machines don’t undergo any wear and tear so they need any special efforts for maintaining them. And moreover, they are only used occasionally for removing grass on the lawn edges.
- Flexibility – There are several features and customization that make the edger a versatile tool. They come with different blade options that can also be adjusted for different heights – which provide different cuts for fulfilling the requirement. This is more important if you have a lawn is not in proper shape or size.
- Lawn Care – If you want to maintain the lawn neatly and aesthetically pleasing, then lawn edger will make this happen by restricting the grass growth and resolving any issues related to weeds.
Tips and Precautions to Consider While Edging Lawn
We all are aware of the fact that there is some risk involved while using power tools, especially for garden. Among them, safety is one of the important things to consider. This is very important because lawn edgers have high speed rotating blade and there is a high risk of ejected material.
- In order to keep your eyes safe from flying debris, it is recommended to wear safety googles and glasses.
- While purchasing a new lawn edger or replacing an old one, make sure it is International Standards Approved Safety Equipment.
- Lawn edgers generate some noise while clearing out the debris over the edges of driveways, sidewalk and pathways. Noise levels can be high if you are using gas powered lawn edger. To prevent any hearing issues, we recommend to wear ear muffs or ear plugs.
- It is better to wear protecting clothing as well like steel capped boots and pair of long pants as they protect your legs while using the lawn edger.
- If you have an electric model, then make sure to use right extension head. Along with that, prevent using more than single extension cord as the edger may not be earthed properly.
- Before using lawn edger for trimming, make sure you mow the entire lawn. This will not save the time but also reduce the effort of removing any patchy sports that were missed while moving the yard.
- To keep proper track of where you want to drip, we recommend lay rope of 20 to 30 feet as a mark. And also leave ½ inch space between the lawn edge and the mark.
- To remove the large roots, rocks, stones or other obstacles, we recommend to carefully walk along the path according to your marking. Also ensure you are not going through the power or water lines or manhole or sewer pipes.
- If the lawn ground is fairly moist, then edge the flowerbed or lawn outskirts because it will make the lawn easy to cut through dry earth. If it is cold climate, then avoid edging the flowerbeds it the ground will be hard and difficult to complete the edging task.
How To Maintain Lawn Edger in Proper Condition?
Regular wear and tear can impact the effectiveness of any power tool, including lawn edger. To prevent the efficiency from decreasing, we recommend to follow some tips mentioned below…
- Maintain Them Clean – We recommend to clean or wipe out the blades of lawn edger after every use. Also clean the rest of the device thoroughly. Often small grass pieces and other debris can get caught between the blades. If left without cleaning, then they can corrode the blades, resulting in damaging the blades completely.
- Replace the Blades – You may have to change the blades of lawn edger as required. This can be achieved by following the instructions provided in the manual. You can also find information on which blades are best for replacement.
- Change the Oil – For small motored power tools, it is important to replace the oil once in every 50 hours of usage. If you have used the lawn edger less this time duration and still want to change the oil, then you can do it once in a year at minimum.
- Replace Spark Plug – Once in every 25 hours of usage, you have to check and change the spark plug of the lawn edger. This will maintain the efficiency of the machine and also improves the safety of the operator as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most of the gardeners use string trimmers instead of lawn edger to make their work done of clearing the messy lawn edges. But you should know how to use this trimmer properly for edging your lawn.
Simply use the string trimmer in vertical position and walk along the path to get a neat trim. It would be best if you remove the stones, small rocks, and other debris in that path before edging. Tilt the machine to take away all the weeds in the path (either on the driveway or sidewalk) without getting into contact with the pavement.
We all know that regular maintenance is essential to keep the product work perfectly for a longer time. Here are a few tips that help you to take care of this edger.
Inspect the engine regularly – Make sure that the engine belts should not be frayed or cracked. If you find the belts damaged then stop running the machine or else it will ruin the whole lawn edger. Also, lubricate the engine and prevent removing excess debris will prevent stucking the recoil.
Check the Oil Levels – Always check the oil before starting the engine to avoid some problems. Check the dipstick and clear any harmful dust and debris from entering into the machine. Also, change the oil and inspect it as per manufacturer’s guidelines.
As a general rule for small motored power tools, you should replace the oil in your lawn edger every 50 hours or so of use. If you’ve used it less than this, aim to change the oil once a year at the bare minimum.
Air Filter – For proper maintenance of engine, you have to inspect the air filter why because the debris and dirt will get inside the machine and air filters due to outdoor environment. Also, replace the air filters as per the manufacturer’s guidelines.
Clean Engine – You have to use a clean cloth to wipe off the harmful debris and dirt from the engine. If you won’t take care on the engine then it became susceptible to leakers, loose parts and damaged components. Tighten the loose parts to prevent any leaks or vibrations and also replace the parts when needed.
Generally, the edger blade is likely to wear down which makes you to replace it with time. You have to replace or sharpen your blades when they appear dull. Here are some instructions that you have to follow while you want to replace the blades.
Power to be disconnected – While replacing the blades, you have to disconnect the power and switch off the machine. If you’re using a gas powered lawn edger, then remove spark plug and if you have electrically powered lawn edger then switch off the electricity.
Safety Tips – Wear a pair of gloves to protect your hands before beginning the process and remove the blade by using an adjustable wrench.
Fix the new one – Invest in the perfectly fixed new blade in the place of old one and ensure its proper working functionality.
Install – Install the new blade in the same manner where you removed the old one. Position the washers in the correct locations and tighten up the nuts and screws by using an adjustable wrenche.
There are various types of blades available for the lawn edger and some most common types are flat rectangular blades, star shaped blades and flat blades with scoop cut. Let’s know about each type of blades and their benefits in detail.
Flat Blade with Scoop Cut – Suitable for edging the delicate areas like plants, flower beds or other places which are disturbed by rough cutting. The scooped end design will help you to achieve a clean cut without much strain. Also, this blade will prevent the spread of weeds to all over the flower bed.
Star Shaped Blade – The sharp points of this blade makes it ideal for edging fences, walls and other kinds of solid barriers. It also keeps the shrubbery and hedges in control and also works great for aiding plantation of seeds and enhancing aeration.
Flat Rectangular Blade – They has sharp edges on the opposite corners. Prefer to use for gas or electric models but not for manual edger why because it causes trouble rotating the blade in a tough weed and thick soil areas.
Main difference between trimmer and edger is that – trimmer is helpful in assisting with boundary maintenance while edger is helpful for creating a new boundary.
The removal of overgrown grass or unwanted sod from the lawn area by using a metal blade is termed as power edging. All you need is to mark the edges where you want to make relevant edging and perform power edging to make your lawn look beautiful.
The half-moon edger is used in the areas where you want to maintain the edge of your lawn. It works well to give the excellent results with regards to performance.
Just like lawn mower, you have to maintain the blades of lawn edger sharp and nice too. This will help you chop the edges properly every single time. Lawn edger usually has singular blade with multiple edges. For cleaning, first you have to remove the blades from the machine. However, this is not the same always as in some machines it may not be easy to remove the blades outright. If you use the lawn edger rarely, then you can sharpen the blades easily. If not, then you may have to consider owing an angle grinder.
While cleaning the blades, make sure you are wearing appropriate equipment to keep yourself safe. The safety thing you should consider is thick gloves. As blades are very sharp, you can hurt yourself using them if proper precautions are not taken. If you have detached the blade, make sure to hold the blade using a clamp. This will make it easy to run the angle grinder easily along the blades for sharpening them. You should sharpen the blades once in a while to maintain the edger at optimum level.
The time duration to complete edging a lawn is similar to that of mowing the lawn. Most of the residential gas powered lawn edgers come with 4-cylinder engine which needs fuel mixture of oil and gas. Lawn edgers that use gasoline will have it clearly mentioned on the product like “No Mixing”. Another consideration you should check out is the weight. Higher the tank capacity, heavier will be the lawn edger. If you are choosing gas lawn edger that is hand-held, then it can make a huge difference.
When it comes to electric pole lawn edgers, they are light in weight compared to gasoline powered models. Because you will not be carrying the tank with gasoline in it. Compared to electric models and gas models, battery operated lawn edgers are much heavier.
We hope the buying guide has provided all the information that are essential to choose and buy the lawn edger. All the above mentioned lawn edger products are best-selling online in which you can pick one for edging your lawn. To simplify your shopping time, our experts’ advice you to choose